Neyma's Humanitarian Activities
Neyma's humanitarian and child protection and development related work
With 15 years of successful music career in Mozambique, Neyma is one of the most popular and charismatic national artists, and a prominent children’s advocate. Neyma participated in various social campaigns throughout her career, including tackling youth alcoholism, combating drugs, HIV and AIDS, among others. Neyma has also been supporting the breastfeeding promotion over the past years in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and UNICEF. Neyma is the second personality (just after Stewart Sukuma) more involved and committed with UNICEF Mozambique in outreach activities in the last 5 years:
- With UNICEF support, Neyma has been over the years and up to date the national artist supporting the breastfeeding promotion and awareness raising initiatives led by the Ministry of Health, including in posters, TV spots and thematic live performances for the annual launch of breastfeeding weeks.
- Recorded a song on "Breastfeading" for the Facts for Life musical album “Música é Vida” launched by UNICEF in collaboration with the Ministry of Health in June 2014.
- Appeared on TV talkshows to promote “Música é Vida” and performed at the launch concert.
- Also performed pro bono at the annual Child Rights Concerts organised with UNICEF support in June 2010 and June 2012.
- Recorded a music video on the situation of children called “Sofrimento”, which was launched in December 2011 at UNICEF office in Maputo with a live performance along with Stewart Sukuma.
- Participated in UNICEF organised celebration of the 20th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) in November 2009. During the event, around 20 artists including Neyma signed a declaration expressing their commitment to advance children's rights through their work;
- Has been expressing her support to UNICEF’s work on her visibility materials. Neyma is the national artist with greater public interaction in social media (Facebook), and the one that has been disseminating more information on UNICEF interventions and public awareness messaging in the social media.
In December 2012 Neyma decided to focus her artistic career on children, launching the brand Neyma for children related projects and products, starting with her first single for children, called “Parabéns” (Congratulations) which she has made available for free download from her facebook fan page. She launched the music video for Parabéns in 2015.